Tuesday 8 November 2011

Birds of Prey 2

Series: Birds of Prey
Words: Duane Swierczynski
Images: Jesus Saiz
Issue Number: 2
Release Date: In reality September but our cover reads November 2011
Format: Comic
A month is a long time. The first issue of Birds of Prey left me disappointed. I wanted to make sure that I was actually giving Birds of Prey a chance. I was a little worried that my upset over the loss of Gail Simone writing for Birds of Prey was not totally colouring my experiences.

I am enjoying Birds of Prey a little more after issue two. Yes I am dragging my feet on this. I certainly like the addition to Katana. So I am guessing one part of that disappointment was a dislike change. You are not going to get the same Birds of Prey as you did with Simone but there may be enough there to make it worth giving it a shot.

The more I see the team come together and interact the more they are growing on me. This issue ends with Poison Ivy showing up. I am curious to see how Ivy fits into the team's dynamics. Tentatively keep your eye on this one if I keep warming up to it it  may make my suggested reading list.

On the bright side it is still a female fronted  lead with character who have the potential to develop. Jesus Saiz's involvement with Birds of Prey helps. I have liked a lot of the comics he has done artwork for previously. He worked on Birds of Prey at times pre-relaunch. He worked on Manhunter. He has worked on Zatanna. He has done a ton of work with writers who write strong female characters well. The hope that they actually will is what is keeping me reading for now. So my fingers are crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment